T
his is a project I've had in mind for a while as a possible Retro Challenge 2026 (a bit later in the year).
It has come together sooner than that thanks to Hackaday introducing a Retro Computing Contest and the imminent RC2014 Assembly. Since I've been keeping logs over there, I haven't blogged about it here before now and won't repeat too much.
The idea was to make a printing teletype terminal that I could use with any RC2014. I wanted to do this without using a modern microcontroller. I've had an Alphacom printer sitting around for a long time that I've been wanting to interface with an RC2014. Appropriate technology for the controller would be a microprocessor such as a Z80 with RAM, clock, serial I/O and a baremetal terminal application on ROM. Yes, I'm describing an RC2014, dedicated to the task of being a teletype terminal. I'm thinking about shrinking this down by using an RC2014 micro, but for now my Classic is doing the job nicely.
Development of that hasn't been quick. (I've been constraining it to hobby-time.) It went even more slowly after I had to start burning each iteration of the program onto ROM. I'm doing all of the code myself. I haven't started using AI to help with that, in my day job or my hobby, and have no desire to do so.
I've logged progress over 8 project logs so far. That includes building a new keyboard (I started with an Omega MSX one I had already but I've built a better one).
Last night I successfully played one of my favourite retro games, Sargon 2 Chess. By successfully I mean that it reached some kind of conclusion. I resigned at this losing position but I'm pleased that I can not suck against this game and even beat it on level 1 sometimes.
(Sargon 2 for CP/M can print the board at each turn, but that uses a lot of paper and isn't necessary if you're very careful when making the moves on a real board.)
Comments
Post a Comment