Skip to main content

Driving digits on a found fragment of Amstrad electronics



Birketts in Lincoln is an Aladdin's cave of weird and wonderful old electronics. The last time I was there I picked up this lovely fragment of board with two seven-segment displays. 

If nothing else I just wanted to see what colour the LEDs were and maybe harvest the 2-digit display.

I guess it's from some kind of stereo equipment, although a quick image search doesn't turn up anything with a 2-digit display like this. 

As you can see, someone has reverse-engineered it, added and labelled some wires and has also bodged a transistor into the data line. They've written 'Data is true logic' on the board. I don't know whether that means that the driver chips' serial inputs require true logic and the transistor ensures this, or that you should make sure that your data signal is logic level. Either way, this arragment works when I hook it up to my RC2014 which works at TTL levels. I'm curious about whether that transistor allows a 3.3V input.

I don't think I've played with a 74164 (serial to parallel shift register) before, so this has been a lot of fun. It has a clocked serial input, meaning that you can simply wire up buttons to make it work:

This was reasonably successful, although some debounce would have helped. At least it helped me to understand how the serial input was working. 

It didn't take too long to write a program in assembly to drive this. I bit-banged lines from my digital i/o module. In the video you can see the LEDs on that module flashing as it serialises the data into reset, clock and data signals. 

I'm not sure why a reset signal is required. I've put in some delays for the 'shake' effect in the electronic dice program but I presume that with a faster data speed, you wouldn't even see that. In my case the reset line isn't connected to both digits anyway, 

It's very elegant, just two jellybean logic chips make this work.  Having said that, I don't think LS logic chips should be driving LED segments directly but it doesn't surprise me that Amstrad did this. 

One challenge was that the segments aren't wired in any sensible order, and each is different (meaning you need a different 'font' for the left and right-hand digits!) To be fair, this is a single-sided board, so I guess the layout guy just laid tracks in the most convenient way. 

I don't know what else to do with this. The segments are that lovely yellow-green, it'll be nice to use them in something else. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

RC2024/10 - my entry

A while ago I made this MIDI module for RC2014: It works but a better design would have its own serial chip and port decoding.  As it is, it provides the MIDI interface and a clock signal for the second SIO2 serial port. This means that it requires a little setting up and will only work for RC2014s with an SIO2 (and port B not already used). I think people might reasonably expect it to be plug-and-play and self-contained, ie do all the serial itself. My challenge to myself is to:  learn how to connect a serial chip (probably 68B50 ACIA) to receive the incoming MIDI and to serialise outgoing MIDI design the module, including the port decoding write a library so that it can easily be used on any RC2014. Potential applications include a MIDI sequencer and using incoming MIDI to trigger notes on the AY or SID sound chips. Entering the Retro Challenge 2024 (aka RC2024/10)  has given me an incentive to get on with this! I'm happy to see several more entries in the RC2014 catego...

IM53 8080 birthday cake

 Each year I've been trying to get more creative with ideas for Spencer's birthday cake. The plan this year was to incorporate LEDs in place of candles. I eventually settled on an Altair / IMSAI / PDP -style computer since those are the type of computers that inspired his RC2014. The IMSAI 8080 has the most colourful switches as well as a name that I could twist. The thought that it could show randomly flashing lights (as if the computer were running) and that it could also play a game of 'kill the bit' was very appealing. A plan formed to use a capacitive touch pad on the cake itself. The first job is to bake the fruitcake. I often use a 7" square tin and one of those cut in half and rearranged makes a cake of suitable proportions.  Even after taking a slice off the faces to make them nice and square, there are still some rounded corners, so after putting on the marzipan, I used more marzipan as a filler to flatten the whole thing. Even though I wanted to end up w...

New MSX graphics / sound / joystick module for RC2014 / RCBus

I'm impressed at what Les has packed onto this standard-sized module. It contains an FPGA replacement for the TMS9918A, a YM/AY sound module and joystick interface.  The project is open-source and is here . In MSX terms this is the VDP (vidio display processor) and PSG (programmable sound generator), thus being an alternative for both the J B Langston TMS9918A video module and Ed Brindley's YM/AY sound module and adds two joystick ports to boot. All on a single module for RC2014 or compatible computers. There's no room for the d-sub joystick ports, so headers are provided so that these ribbon cables can be used.  This is a neat solution for those wishing to take advantage of Les' MSX8 system , which loads most MSX rom files along with a modified MSX BIOS from CP/M on a ROMWBW RC2014.  It is hard-wired to the MSX ports for the sound and video, so it won't be suitable for those wanting to run Colecovision ROMs, for example. I'm torn myself between the real TMS ...