Skip to main content

The bionic 64 project

O
nce I'd started writing a game for the C64 and started playing some of the great new games available, I decided that I needed a 64 that I can switch on and use as much as I like without worrying about stressing 35-year-old components (at least one of which is destined to fail in time).

Emulation is fine, in fact when I'm spending a lot of time playing one game I like to use all of the mod cons; big chair, big screen, Duoshock controller and VICE which makes loading up and saving the game at any point a breeze.

That's not the same as switching on a 'real' 8-bit computer and playing a game from the time.

I had a 'black screen' C64 and so there was an opportunity with a few options. Fit the original case / keyboard with a Pi, or with one of the modern boards - Ultimate 64 or C64 Reloaded

These boards are new boards which emulate the original components. So we're still talking emulation, albeit hardware rather than software. In the case of the Reloaded, you fit your own key components  =  a new board with original chips, which is the opposite of what I'd really like.

While the original chips (6510 CPU, SID, PLA) aren't made any more, there are new replacements for some of those. An original board in an original case with those modern replacements seems like the best compromise to me. (I still have a couple of working original 64's).

So the 'bionic C64' project was born. Collecting the components was fun. Recapping was fun. The SID and the 8701 were socketed on my board, so switching those for an ARMSID and TOLB was a breeze.

Taking off the PLA, which was not socketed, was not fun. But I managed that without damaging the board. After that, fitting a socket and pushing in the PLAnkton was straightforward.

That last step is the one that (predictably) fixed the machine. (Disclaimer: not fully tested at time of writing.)


 Next on my shopping list is an internal SD2IEC.  What other replacement components / mods are available?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Driving NeoPixels with Z80

I 've long been thinking about a version two   RC2014 LED matrix module . I've had a matrix with a MAX 7219 on a module. It's a nice enhancement. But there's only so much you can do with a single-colour LED array right? Wouldn't it be cool to have RGB LEDs?  At Liverpool MakeFest I saw a wall-sized ping-pong ball NeoPixel display and picked up some NeoPixels with the intention of making one. Possibly driven by my RC2014.  I enjoy learning about protocols and have had some SPI devices working with the RC2014 - bit-banging SPI works really well because it doesn't care about timing. NeoPixels really do care about timing though. From Adafruit's web page about their 8x8  NeoPixel matrix: If there's one thing I want to get across in this blog post, it's don't just accept what you're told . Question everything. Learn about what's going on and find out why you're being told something isn't possible. Get creative with workarounds. I'

ZX81 reversible internal 16k upgrade

T his post is an upvote for Tynemouth Software's  ZX81 reversible Internal 16K RAM upgrade . Their instructions are easy enough for even me to follow and don't involve cutting tracks. This is the ZX81 I've had out on display and used whenever I wanted to. It's an issue 1 and was probably a kit judging by some very untidy assembly. It has a ZX8-CCB  composite video mod and an external keyboard fitted. On board it has two 1k x 4-bit chips.  The ZX81 originally came with 1k on board. Thanks to a trick with compressing the display in ram, that was enough to type and run a small program but you soon felt the limitations. Back in the early 80s, the solution was a 16k ram pack which plugged into the back[1] and this is the way I've been using this particular machine. These ram packs are notorious for 'ram pack wobble'. Even if fastened into place, you can still randomly find your work disappearing. This is a very reliable solution using a more modern 32k chip (half

Making new ROMs for the Vic20 / Vicky Twenty

M y Vicky Twenty is very nearly complete.  As things stand, the board and every single component is new*. The processor and VIAs are newly-manufactured (W65C02 and W65C22).  Obviously the Vic1 chip isn't manufactured today, but there is 'new old' stock about. I have been able to buy a Vic 1, date code 1987 (which seems very late). It obviously hasn't been in a computer before, passes the acetone test and works. The same goes for two of the ROMs - character and BASIC. But I haven't been able to buy a new-old Kernal ROM (901486-07). I am able to borrow one - all of the boards I have, have this particular ROM socketed. I don't know whether all of this indicates that the Kernal has proved less reliable than the other two. I recently bought a TL866 for another project. Of all the retro-computing hardware things I've had to learn to do, making ROMs has been one of the simplest. So far, everything has been very easy and worked first time.  I'm not sure that it&