Skip to main content

Writing a binary (bcd) clock in Forth for RC2014 and Minstrel 4th

 A

nother idea I had for using the 8x8 LED Matrix is a binary clock.  It fits very neatly into 8x8 pixels 

(The 8x8 matrix looks way better in real life than it does in these videos. It's very difficult to photograph or film.)

Eventually I want to learn to use interrupts on the RC2014. An interrupt routine would update a counter very accurately and independently of the main program, which could be divided for accurate seconds, minutes and hours.

In the absence of that and no counter (as far as I'm aware) in CP/M (the OS I use on my RC2014) it was necessary to write a 'jiffy clock' that you'd call from your main loop. Here it is:


The idea is that you call clinc every 1/60 second and it gives you hrs mins and secs words for access to those numbers. If you can't call it exactly every 1/60s, then it allows for calibration and by coincidence, the main loop of my program happens to loop almost at that rate, hence the number 62 at line 27. 

I was trying to be clever here and use a recursive routine. That's a very neat way to update a string of bytes (eg for a score) where each counts up to a certain value before tripping the next. In this case we want to count each up to 60. Except that we don't. The first may not be 60 as it's used for calibration, and the last needs to cycle back to zero at 24. Hence the 'wrapper', clinc, which handles those things and uses the recursive word for seconds and minutes. For the Minstrel version, discussed a little later, I dropped the recursion idea, thus lengthening the code a bit making it more readable.

The full RC2014 code is available here: (see BINCL-RC.F and jiffy.f)  
https://github.com/shieladixon/8x8_matrix_toolbox/tree/main/forth

(NB I use DXForth, the code may need to be altered for your favourite Forth.)

Porting to the Minstrel 4th

I was looking forward to taking advantage of the counter (FRAMES) within the Jupiter Ace system. This is a 4-byte counter which is updated by the interrupt routine, so it counts steadily, independently of your program.

My code for 'reading' FRAMES, adapted from an example in the manual, is this:


You simply call time at least once per second and you can read the secs, mins and hrs variables. That works, and works really well if you're just printing the time to the screen, say.  But when used within the matrix refresh loop, causes quite a blink, because of all the double-length maths involved. 

The problem is that the frame counter is simply a counter, so calculating the seconds, minutes and hours from it is quite an overhead. 

I spent some time trying tricks such as dividing the work up or inserting matrix refreshes between the calculations. That ended up with messy code and still a flickery display. 

In the end I've worked in the same jiffy clock as the RC2014 version. The advantage there is that the counter maintains 4 bytes as jiffies, seconds, minutes and hours.  So those can be accessed immediately without causing a delay. 


My latest code for this is also at https://github.com/shieladixon/8x8_matrix_toolbox/tree/main/forth - see BINCL_ACE.F

[update] Both of these versions now allow the user to input the time when the program starts. The standalone executable for RC2014 is also there.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

ZX81 reversible internal 16k upgrade

T his post is an upvote for Tynemouth Software's  ZX81 reversible Internal 16K RAM upgrade . Their instructions are easy enough for even me to follow and don't involve cutting tracks. This is the ZX81 I've had out on display and used whenever I wanted to. It's an issue 1 and was probably a kit judging by some very untidy assembly. It has a ZX8-CCB  composite video mod and an external keyboard fitted. On board it has two 1k x 4-bit chips.  The ZX81 originally came with 1k on board. Thanks to a trick with compressing the display in ram, that was enough to type and run a small program but you soon felt the limitations. Back in the early 80s, the solution was a 16k ram pack which plugged into the back[1] and this is the way I've been using this particular machine. These ram packs are notorious for 'ram pack wobble'. Even if fastened into place, you can still randomly find your work disappearing. This is a very reliable solution using a more modern 32k chip (half

Driving NeoPixels with Z80

I 've long been thinking about a version two   RC2014 LED matrix module . I've had a matrix with a MAX 7219 on a module. It's a nice enhancement. But there's only so much you can do with a single-colour LED array right? Wouldn't it be cool to have RGB LEDs?  At Liverpool MakeFest I saw a wall-sized ping-pong ball NeoPixel display and picked up some NeoPixels with the intention of making one. Possibly driven by my RC2014.  I enjoy learning about protocols and have had some SPI devices working with the RC2014 - bit-banging SPI works really well because it doesn't care about timing. NeoPixels really do care about timing though. From Adafruit's web page about their 8x8  NeoPixel matrix: If there's one thing I want to get across in this blog post, it's don't just accept what you're told . Question everything. Learn about what's going on and find out why you're being told something isn't possible. Get creative with workarounds. I'

Making new ROMs for the Vic20 / Vicky Twenty

M y Vicky Twenty is very nearly complete.  As things stand, the board and every single component is new*. The processor and VIAs are newly-manufactured (W65C02 and W65C22).  Obviously the Vic1 chip isn't manufactured today, but there is 'new old' stock about. I have been able to buy a Vic 1, date code 1987 (which seems very late). It obviously hasn't been in a computer before, passes the acetone test and works. The same goes for two of the ROMs - character and BASIC. But I haven't been able to buy a new-old Kernal ROM (901486-07). I am able to borrow one - all of the boards I have, have this particular ROM socketed. I don't know whether all of this indicates that the Kernal has proved less reliable than the other two. I recently bought a TL866 for another project. Of all the retro-computing hardware things I've had to learn to do, making ROMs has been one of the simplest. So far, everything has been very easy and worked first time.  I'm not sure that it&